Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mmmm...Monday: Hot Fudge Cake


I realize it's Tuesday, but hey, it's never a bad time for a some good food.

I recently found a recipe for a coffee mug cake...an individual serving of chocolate goodness that can be microwaved & ready to eat in minutes. Intrigued by the idea I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately I was rather disappointed. I still liked that idea of having a single-serving treat, so I thought I'd try out a different recipe. This one I really liked...I hope you will too. I'll warn you...it's really rich! I usually end up sharing it with Ross. I don't think he minds.

Coffee Mug Hot Fudge Cake

In a LARGE mug (make sure you use a big one...a regular size mug will overflow in the microwave) mix together:
• 3 T flour
• 2 T tsp sugar
• 1-1/2 tsp cocoa
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 2 T milk
• 1 tsp canola oil
• 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl mix together:
• 3 T packed brown sugar
• 2 tsp cocoa
Poor this mixture on top of what's in the mug. Do not stir.

Microwave 1/3 c water until boiling (about 1 min). Poor this into the mug as well but DO NOT STIR. Make sure it completely covers the brown sugar mixture, or else you'll end up with bits of raw brown sugar.

Microwave the mug for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes on high (my microwave is 1250 watts). Let it cool for a minute before eating...unless you like burning your tongue. Then by all means, dig in. Enjoy! It's also really good with some whipped cream or ice cream on top.

And if you want to make the whole cake, here is the original recipe.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

That looks yummy! I'll definitely give it a try.

katie said...

Dang. Wendi, you can try it out on me.

Mom said...

It looks divine, and just enough to satisfy and not gain weight. How clever!

Virtual Charlie