Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Crafts

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Christmas is: decorating.  It excites me to put away the usual home decor and bring out the special trees, ornaments & such that help bring that Christmas feeling to my home.  However, when I brought up my Christmas decorations this year, I found that I was bored with a large majority of what I had.  (Seriously, are you surprised?)  So, I got to work on making a few new additions to the yuletide decor.  My only stipulation was that I had to spend as little $ as possible.  And I'm proud to say that I only spent $6 on the wreath.  Everything else was made using all the other 'craft crap' and wood I found around the house.

I've had so much fun I might need to make this an annual tradition (as if the Christmas season isn't busy enough already...)  I might also need to make a tradition of giving away a few of the things I'm tired with...I only have so much storage room, you know.  Here are some of the things I've made so far:

Ornaments
Every year I like to do a different tree, so this year I decided to do an alphabet tree for Jack.  Instead of a star I have a big letter 'A' at the top of my tree, and I have ornaments depicting each letter of the alphabet.  I needed something for 'H' and 'W', so I made these.


The wreath is similar to the rag wreath here, but I used a much smaller ring.

Tree
I LOVE those cone trees I see everywhere, but I'm way too cheap to actually buy them.  So, I decided to make one.  I formed cardstock into a cone using the method shown here.  Then I wrapped it in twine using a glue gun to make it all stick.  I got the idea here.  I have many plans for similar trees, but I probably won't get around to them this year. 



Wreath
I saw this tutorial long before Christmas and decided to try it myself.  It was lots of fun!  However, if you decide to do one for yourself to hang outside I would suggest using the cheap dollar store ornaments...the paint on the nice ones I used has started to peel due to the cold.


Christmas Countdown
I originally saw this idea here, and decided I needed to make one of my own.  I used paper rather than vinyl for the numbers.  If I were to do it again I would definitely borrow a Cricut from a friend...cutting all the numbers out by hand was a pain, and they didn't turn out as nice as I would have liked.  But, I'm still happy with the overall result. 


I still have a couple more projects that I hope to finish before Christmas.  I saw this technique & thought it was absolutely ingenious, then quickly came up with a way to use it.  However, since my printer is broken I'll have to wait to try it out.  But, I'll make sure to show them to you when if I finish.

3 comments:

katie said...

I saw your wreath hanging on your door. I'd love to make one someday.

BYU Hottie said...

You never cease to amaze me. Such cute and clever decorations!

Julie said...

Cute decorations!!! I dub you in charge of Super Saturday next year.

Virtual Charlie