Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mmmm...Monday: Pecan Roca



Confession: I've made this many times with the intention of putting it up for Mmmm...Monday, but I always end up eating it before I can get a good picture.  Lucky for you, I finally found some self-restraint.  Trust me...this one is delicious, and SO easy!  My recipe is an adapted version of this Almond Roca recipe.

Ingredients:
• 1/2 c pecans
• 1 c butter (no substitutions)
• 1 c sugar
• 3 T boiling water
• 2 T light corn syrup
• 1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Spread pecans over 3/4 of a cookie sheet (you can toast them in a 300° oven for about 15 minutes if you like).  In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter.  Add sugar & cook for 5 minutes.  Add water & corn syrup.  Bring to boil over medium high heat; cook stirring occasionally until a candy thermometer reads 300° F (hard crack stage).  Quickly pour over pecans (it will probably only cover about 3/4 of the cookie sheet).  Let cool for a few minutes, then sprinkle chocolate chips on top (you may want more than 1/2 c if you like a thicker layer of chocolate on top).  Wait for 1-2 minutes until chocolate melts, then spread over toffee with a spoon.  Cool completely (I like to put it in the fridge or freezer to make it go faster); break into pieces.  (If you like more uniform pieces, you can try scoring it with a pizza cutter after you've spread the chocolate.)

A few tricks & tips:

Boiling Water Trick: Just measure out the water you need & put it a non-glass bowl or measuring cup in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 min...or until it boils.  (A glass bowl or measuring cup will explode if you try to boil water in it in the microwave.)

Thicker Toffee:  Personally, I like my toffee, or pecan roca, nice & thick.  So, instead of using a cookie sheet I put mine in an 8x8 pan. 

Preventing Sticking: If you're using an 8x8 pan, but sure to spray it with Pam or oil.  If using a cookie sheet, put down a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper over the cookie sheet.  I usually use aluminum foil since it's cheaper.  I spray it as well, though I'm not sure if you need to.  Parchment paper definitely does NOT need to be sprayed.

Thermometer Tricks: A while ago I discovered a trick from Alton Brown...instead of using a candy thermometer just use a binder clip to hook a meat thermometer onto your pan (see picture below).  It's especially nice for candy that doesn't need to be stirred constantly.  My thermometer has a feature that sounds an alarm when it reaches the temperature I want.  So nice!  Although to make sure the thermometer doesn't touch the bottom of the pan I often have to prop it against my spoon.


1 comment:

BYU Hottie said...

Oooooooo.....yum!!! I've tried to make a toffee before, but I don't think I ever got it just right. Either too soft or too separated. Thanks for putting this on...think I'm gonna have to try it! :)

Virtual Charlie